The Barpali Days

This blog is the Facebook of Barpali which picturise its "life" and "culture". It was a "palli" or a village a century back where the all time great Oriya poet swabhaba kabi Gangadhar Meher had taken birth. Now this bustling little town is renowned world-over for the weaving of Sambalpuri ikat handloom fabrics. Agriculture is its prime economy. And when you happen to visit this little town don't miss to taste Chaul bara.

Breaking

Oct 28, 2012

Bhow Bhow


The other morning when I took out my wallet there a hundred rupee note was missing. I was disturbed again as my things are missing one after another. It is worry some especially when your things are stolen at your own home. I won’t waste my time reporting an FIR in a police station even if my entire wallet would have been pick pocketed in the public transport while travelling Bargarh in the local bus.  May God forgive, as under the given circumstances I doubted on my house maid Sumani. But when Sumani came to attend her daily ordeal,  she submitted a moiled out piece of Rupee Hundred to my mother that she discovered while sweeping the floor beneath the bed. It was evident to be yet another prank of Daina, the five months old Labrador we got at home. The previous night while re-organising my wallet this note might have escaped and fallen on the floor. Diana must have picked it, this is the conclusion all that I able to draw. Prior to this my mother misplaced her spectacles somewhere and went blind for half a day. I told her, Amma  you are getting old that is why forgetting the things to remember. But by evening the broken pieces of the spectacle were recovered, while the glass was intact and scratch less. 



As such rearing dogs is not something new to my family. My parents are fond of dogs and we  kept a dog which ever house  we lived had a campus with the ground area. For the past four years we got Dany the male Labrador dog.  But now we got Diana the new kid on the block. And to be true, the public at Barpali think, people don’t get food to eat where as we are feeding two foreign dogs. This is how a neighbor’s envy becomes an owner’s pride.



As Diana’s teeth are growing, to sharpen it up she has got the tendency to bite one and everything where ever her mouth reaches. She left no furniture at home un-bitten; let it be the legs of the dining table, edge of the bed or the arm resting of the sofa set. The surviving wooden furniture which my mother got in her marriage from my maternal grandpa almost 42 years back are now taking their last breath.  
[the furniture being disfigured by Diana]
As such my mother is the one who over feeds her three children let it be me, Dany or the Diana. But looking at the ever inflating prices of non-veg my Mother made it a point to make Diana a strict vegetarian from the day one. Initially my Mom used to spoon-feed her Cerelac, the human baby food. But how could you change the inborn nature of a mammal which is carnivorous. But one day while it was raining,  Diana discovered a corpse of a baby crane in our garden. She picked that and brought it  home. She entered her favorite space to hide i.e. under the wooden bed. She had her first ever non-vegetarian breakfast. With this the long standing penance of my mother was foiled. In the days to follow she also brought a un-cooked fresh small fish which might have been dropped from the beak of a  crane in the garden. Let whatever their habits, I found these dogs highly disciplined in their eating habits. Unlike me they are not greedy. Dany is highly disciplined in her eating habits. Just two course of meals a day, that too no extra roti. When these dogs have their food, they go on playing and jumping around, as they got no school to attend. When exhausted they return home and catch a nap for couple of minutes. Unlike me this is how these dogs live life without worrying for tomorrow, while just being happy and contended for the day.  
 
[school going kids while teasing ]
During the day hours when my mother would be bizzy in her cooking or her other choir at home, these dogs seat either at the corner or lay under the bed, but all the time keep  on staring at my mother with their twinkling eyes. They might be sleeping but when wakes up, first go in search of my mother. Every weekdays at around 12.30 noon on the back street  children return home from school. There are a few naughty kids who dare to come near the window and shouts as “bhow bhow”. And immediately our pair of dogs would join the band wagon. When Dany or Diana barks in retaliation, the kids shout as “a kukur” and flee the place while laughing loudly. This is how the street children enjoy teasing Dany and Diana. 

During the monsoon one mid night  Dany came upstairs and barked near the door as “bhow bhow”. When I opened the door she came inside and lifted her rear leg over the wooden cupboard.  I did not punish him while understanding his plight, as it was raining insistently for the entire evening. Dany is very much  choosy and civilized to attend the call of the nature only at the dry and clean places. It is good to have a short memory like what Dany have. Because, unlike me, it does not live life in the past. It got no  sense of revenge or the guilt in its life.  



When I would be there at home they heed no attention to me. But when I return home after a day’s work, while one dog  would snatch away my LIC cloth bag,  the other would snatch away my shoes as if they were missing me for long. They would take my shoe and show it to my mother to tell that I have returned home. These dogs don’t know how to express love, so they push me or scratch me with their sharp nails. So far together they tore at least half a dozen of my Sambalpuri cotton shirts. These dogs have really made my life breathless and miserable at my home.

It is not only the two dogs at home, but any other canines on the street as well often taught me a lesson, one or the other way. Once while I was having singada (Indian snax) on the street one street dog came and was silently starring at me. When I finished my breakfast it started wagging its tail. The jubilation with which it moved its tail from one end to the other has made me indebted towards it, even when in no way it was related to me. I was forced to buy two pieces of these samosas and given them to her.
[Esha with Dany at home]

[Esha while playing with Diana]

Two years back my mother fell briefly sick. The gas stove in the kitchen was shut as there is no second female at home to cook. Me and my Father got the breakfast, lunch and dinner ordered from the hotel. But Dany stayed hungry for the whole two days without partaking even a biscuit or a loaf of bread. This humble dog  set on the bed while keep on licking the feet of my mother, as if it wants to embrace my mother. And Dany had his food only when my mother was back to normal health and cooked rotis for him with her own hands.
“Bhow bhow………..”
                                

Excuse me these two dogs are barking again, I need to go and check what is the issue for now.

kiranbima@gmail.com
Cell #  +918249314972
E. KIRAN MOHAN (The Writer)
Tahsil Chowk, Near SBI,
At\PO - BARPALI - 768029 
Dist. Bargarh
Odisha, India

35 comments:

  1. I remember Danny. He is such a good friend to your sweet mother. Glad to hear he has a new little friend to play with. As for your judgmental neighbors it should be remembered that love can be cultivated from many different sources and by utilizing that variety we learn lessons from one where from another we could not. I do hope both you shed your family are all well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your post after long. Really liked it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiran,
    I just loved this post...its adorable...Dany and Diana are blessed to have a family like yours..where they are cherished and adored 360 degrees!
    so joyous to know that you take pride in their little mischief's just like I do...:)
    I had 2 Boxer baby's...mother and daughter as you can see from my Facebook page...They will remain my adorables forever Sasha the beautiful mother and Tasha the darling baby :)
    Just a question...is there a good vet around for them?...If there is anything basic you need to know regarding their health ...pls feel free to ask me...will try and help out :)

    Love to Dany and Diana..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Kiran Anna... On my way soon to India and then to Barpalli,, Ever since i was born, i never had been there anytime...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post. Though I m personally not a fan of dogs in d least, yet I enjoyed reading it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome story well written
    For us dog is god they are loyal and they are our lifelines.really

    ReplyDelete
  7. constantly i used to read smaller content which also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph which I am reading here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific article! That is the type of information that are supposed to be shared across the net.
    Disgrace on the seek engines for now not positioning this
    put up higher! Come on over and discuss with my website .
    Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post is amazing, great
    written and include approximately all important infos.
    I'd like to peer more posts like this .

    ReplyDelete
  10. When someone writes an paragraph he/she retains the image of a user in his/her mind that how
    a user can know it. So that's why this article is great.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to my father who shared with me concerning this
    webpage, this webpage is really remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's an amazing paragraph in support of all the internet viewers; they
    will get advantage from it I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel that is one of the such a lot important information for me.
    And i am glad studying your article. However wanna observation on some general issues,
    The site style is ideal, the articles is in reality great :
    D. Excellent process, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest
    authoring a blog article or vice-versa? My website
    addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and
    I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to
    send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Superb blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I
    am glad that you just shared this useful information with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i just step in the medical shop all tired and bored. As soon as my eye rolled upon this beautiful creature i got my memories recharged, long back..... i too had such a beautiful soul in my home. super likes and super lub fr bhow bhow...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey very interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.

    After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Juhar agyan.Chhot jinis bad kari lekhbare apan ustad aye.Lekhak mane story khujsan,mas mas lagi jayesi.hele apanankar paske story mane dauduchhan..Mani gali mahapuru.Lekha jari rakhun aru amke tike tike usat hebarke deun..Jai ho Kiran Maharaj.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome way of describing small small things...u have analysed a lot

    ReplyDelete
  21. Humans love are conditional but animals love are unconditional. I have seen so many animals but dogs are special between them. They are very obvious to their masters. They have a special emotiona to their families. They bark to protect their masters. They don't want that even a songle person will touch their masters.
    We think they never understand us and our activities but their mind usore sharp and more frequently worked than human. So nice story..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to have stumbled upon this post. It was a Google alert I guess. Not sure!

    I am so happy that Dany & Diana are in the company of some compassionate souls out there.

    I would certainly love to visit your place in the future!

    Thanks for what all you do, Sir!

    Keep writing.

    Take Care.

    Love, from Maharashtra, India.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayank thank you for acknowledging my literary works. Would love to receive you as a guest in Odisha. I would be your host. I suggest you you send me a friend request in Facebook. Let me share yet another heartwarming story.

      It was the early hours of 21st October '09, I was served by my mother a hot cup of tea. Even before I could have the first sip of it, our attendee came to inform, there is an un-invited guest at the outer-gate. When I went to receive, it was a tortoise. I was overwhelmed at the sight of it, as if, it brings good fortune early in a morning. I went ahead to lift it, with my both hands saying “kecho kecho”. The moment I touched it, it withdraw its head inside its hard-shell. The immediate question raised in my mind was about its re-habilitation. Check here what the dificulties I have gone throw to rescue this creature:
      http://barpalidays.blogspot.in/2011/08/kecho-soup-rescue-operation-of-tortoise.html

      Delete
  23. Hey Mava ,I loved this Article ,the title only signifies that it would be something about dogs .And I I read this Diana and dany were great to have such a nice family I.e with u all.I loved dogs a lot and of course I was also having a dog long back when I was studying in 5th class a pug dog (RIFEL) who was very cute and now he's not with us but he's now in my bottom of my heart ♥️.Miss him a lot and I got memorised the way My do had do play with me and same way as I and my Grandpaa used to take care of him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very descriptive blog, I enjoyed that bit. Will there be a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  25. fantastic blog..very nice story sir

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wowww..so heartwarming to just listen to it..You have 2 awesome dogs sir..I would love to play with them if I get a chance one day.😁 This post deeply touched me and it will as well to my father when I will show it to him.Because we had a beautiful dog named Diana when I was just 3-4 yrs old,staying in panposh.. My father and i are very fond of dogs ..After diana's death in an accident, my father brought another puppy(a dobberman,named TIGER).He was also very obedient and naughty like Diana..But unfortunately tiger also couldn't live more than 4yrs.when we travelled to my uncle's home in bhubaneswar,we gave tiger in custody of our neighbour..we returned after 6days and we could only watch a big hole digged backyard of our neighbour by tiger..But he was not there.They told that,he remembered us and barked(cried in more sense)whole day and night and didn't even touch foods.after 4days he died.till now i and my father feel guity for deciding to give him in custody of our neighbour..But bygone are bygone..After tiger,my father mustered courage to bring another puppy ,named Roxxy(an altatian Desi mix),living with us from 2yrs in BARGARh.I am out of town for job but I remember him daily..🤩 you pulled a string in my heart by telling stories of Dany and diana.Really loved it sir.Thank you 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice story to read. I never love dogs as pet. When I look street dogs, I feed them biscuits and love to see their wagging tail.
    Even I read it interestingly and love to spare more time for your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  28. One precious piece, your writings always gather more reader to praise upon. The dany and dina story with event description is worth reading. I was touched.����

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sir the way you narrate the story daina and dany

    I never believe that they two were dogs
    I feel they are like a human body

    The love for them from you reflect each word of this
    Story

    I know u also love immensely 💕

    Thanks sir to provide such beautiful story 🙏🏻🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete